Composition of myelin

The main constituents of myelin are the lipids (70 per cent of its dry weight), the remainder being proteins (30 per cent of its dry weight), which are largely specific to myelin, with subtle differences between PNS and CNS (Figure 8.7). The lipids provide myelin with its insulating properties, whereas the proteins serve to fuse and stabilize myelin lamellae and to mediate membrane-membrane interactions between the myelin lamellae, and between the axon and myelin sheath. Our understanding of their functions comes from studies of their localization and studies in naturally occurring mutations and genetically altered animals.

Peripheral Neuropathy Natural Treatment Options

Peripheral Neuropathy Natural Treatment Options

This guide will help millions of people understand this condition so that they can take control of their lives and make informed decisions. The ebook covers information on a vast number of different types of neuropathy. In addition, it will be a useful resource for their families, caregivers, and health care providers.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment