1. Lay your cat ventral side down on the dissecting tray. Make a short incision in the cervical region with a sharp scalpel blade. Cut only through the skin which is about 1/8 of an inch thick here. Do not cut the underlying muscles,
2. With the scissors or a scalpel continue the incision along the midline to the tail
3. Cut around the tail, be careful not to cut anything sexual! Leave the skin on the tail and the scrotum of the male.
4. Separate the skin from the muscles by pulling on it and carefully cutting the superficial fascia (fibrous connective tissue) with the scalpel
5. Examine the cat skeleton to locate the ankles. Make an incision from the tail down each hind leg to the ankles and cut around each ankle.
6. Cut the skin around the neck. The neck has already been cut to allow for the injection of plastics into the veins and arteries. Do not cut into the muscles!
7. Cut down each foreleg to the wrist. Cut around the wrists.
8. Gently remove the skin from the body. If your sped men is a female, locate the mammary glands which will probably be attached to the skin. Remove the mammary glands and discard them into the trash can.
9 As time is available remove the connective tissue, fascia, from your cat's muscles. You will have to be t(picky " to do this. Use your scalpel sparingly and carefully so as not to cut through muscles.
10. Wrap the cat back in its skin.
11. Place the wrapped cat back in its bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal the bag with the rubber band or twist tie.
12. Label the bag with your names or the name of your cat.
13- Replace the cat in the receptacle.
14. Clean up your work area according to the laboratory rules.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.