1. Bucy JC, Case TJ. Tremor: physiological mechanisms and abolition by surgical means. Arch Neurol Psychiatry 1939; 41:721.
2. Bucy JC, Case TJ. Cortical extirpation in the treatment of involuntary movements. Arch Neurol Psychiatry 1942; 21:551.
3. Meyers R. The modification of alternating tremors, rigidity and festination by surgery of the basal ganglia. Res Publ Nerv Ment Dis Proc 1942; 20:602-665.
4. Meyers R. Surgical experiments in the therapy of certain "extrapyramidal" diseases: a current evaluation. Acta Psychiatr Neurol Suppl 1951; 67:3-42.
5. Spiegel EA, Wycis HT, Marks M, Lee AST. Stereotaxic apparatus for operations on the human brain. Science 1947; 106:349-350.
7. Cooper IS, Bravo G. Chemopallidectomy and chemothalamectomy. J Neurosurg 1958; 15:244-250.
8. Guiot G, Brion S. Traitement des mouvements anormaux par la coagulation pallidale. Technique et résultats. Rev Neurol 1953; 89:578-580.
9. Guiot G. Le traitement des syndromes parkinsoniens par la destruction du pallidum interne. Neurochirurgia 1958; 1:94-98.
10. Alexander GE, Crutcher MD, DeLong MR. Basal ganglia-thalamocortical circuits: parallel substrates for motor, oculomotor, "prefrontal" and "limbic" functions. Prog Brain Res 1990; 85:119-146.
11. Spiegel EA, Wycis HT. Ansotomy in paralysis agitans. Arch Neurol 1954; 71:598-614.
12. Spiegel E, Wycis H, Baird H. Long-range effects of electropallidoansotomy in extrapyramidal and convulsive disorders. Neurology 1958; 8:734-740.
13. Svennilson E, Torvik A, Lowe R, Leksell L. Treatment of parkinsonism by stereotactic thermolesions in the pallidal region. Acta Psychiatr Neurol Scand 1960; 35:358-377.
14. Cooper IS, Bravo G. Implications of a 5-year study of 700 basal ganglia operations. Neurology 1958; 8:701-707.
15. Kelly PJ, Ahlskog JE, Goerss SJ, Daube JR, Duffy JR, Kall BA. Computer-assisted stereo-tactic ventralis lateralis thalamotomy with microelectrode recording control in patients with Parkinson's disease. Mayo Clin Proc 1987; 62:655-664.
16. Jankovic J, Cardoso F, Grossman RG, Hamilton WJ. Outcome after stereotactic thalam-otomy for parkinsonian, essential, and other types of tremor. Neurosurgery 1995; 37:680-686.
17. Cotzias GC, Van Woert MH, Schiffer LM. Aromatic amino acids and modification of parkinsonism. N Engl J Med 1967; 276:374-379.
18. Alvarez L, Macias R, Guridi J, et al. Dorsal subthalamotomy for Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 2001; 16:72-78.
Barlas O, Hanagasi HA, Imer M, Sahin HA, Sencer S, Emre M. Do unilateral ablative lesions of the subthalamic nucleus in parkinsonian patients lead to hemiballism? Mov Disord 2001; 16:306-310.
Su PC, Ma Y, Fukuda M, et al. Metabolic changes following subthalamotomy for advanced Parkinson's disease, Ann Neurol 2001; 50:514-520.
Fahn S. "On-off" phenomenon with levodopa therapy in parkinsonism. Clinical and pharmacologic correlations and the effect of intramuscular pyridoxine. Neurology 1974; 24:431-441.
Marsden CD, Parkes JD. "On-off " effects in patients with Parkinson's disease on chronic levodopa therapy. Lancet 1976; 1:292-296.
Fazzini E, Dogali M, Beric A, et al. The effects of unilateral ventral posterior medial pal-lidotomy in patients with Parkinson's disease and Parkinson's plus syndromes. In: Koller WC and Paulson G, eds. Therapy of Parkinson's Disease. New York: Marcel-Dekker, 1995:353-379.
Laitinen L. Optimal target of pallidotomy: a controversy. In: Krauss J, Grossmann R, Jankovic J, eds. Pallidal Surgery for the Treatment of Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1998:285-289.
Langston JW, Widner H, Goetz CG, et al. Core assessment program for intracerebral transplantations (CAPIT). Mov Disord 1992; 7:2-13.
Defer GL, Widner H, Marie RM, Remy P, Levivier M. Core assessment program for surgical interventional therapies in Parkinson's disease (CAPSIT-PD). Mov Disord 1999; 14:572-584.
Samuel M, Caputo E, Brooks DJ, et al. A study of medial pallidotomy for Parkinson's disease: clinical outcome, MRI location and complications. Brain 1998; 121:59-75. Matsumoto K, Asano T, Baba T, Miyamoto T, Ohmoto T. Long-term follow-up results of bilateral thalamotomy for parkinsonism. Appl Neurophysiol 1976; 39:257-260. Matsumoto K, Shichijo F, Fukami T. Long-term follow-up review of cases of Parkinson's disease after unilateral or bilateral thalamotomy. J Neurosurg 1984; 60:1033-1044. Scott R, Gregory R, Hines N, et al. Neuropsychological, neurological and functional outcome following pallidotomy for Parkinson's disease. A consecutive series of eight simultaneous bilateral and twelve unilateral procedures. Brain 1998; 121:659-675. Ghika J, Ghika-Schmid F, Fankhauser H, et al. Bilateral contemporaneous posteroven-tral pallidotomy for the treatment of Parkinson's disease: neuropsychological and neurological side effects. Report of four cases and review of the literature. J Neurosurg 1999; 91:313-321.
Trepanier LL, Kumar R, Lozano AM, Lang AE, Saint-Cyr JA. Neuropsychological outcome of GPi pallidotomy and GPi or STN deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's disease. Brain Cogn 2000; 42:324-347.
Voon V, Kubu C, Krack P, Houeto JL, Troster AI. Deep brain stimulation: neuropsychological and neuropsychiatric issues. Mov Disord. 2006; 21(suppl 14):S305-S327. Voon V, Saint-Cyr J, Lozano AM, Moro E, Poon YY, Lang AE. Psychiatric symptoms in patients with Parkinson disease presenting for deep brain stimulation surgery. J Neurosurg 2005; 103:246-251. http://www.nice.org.uk.
Blomstedt P, Hariz MI. Are complications less common in deep brain stimulation than in ablative procedures for movement disorders? Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 2006; 84:72-81. Hariz MI, Bergenheim AT. A 10-year follow-up review of patients who underwent Lek-sell's posteroventral pallidotomy for Parkinson disease. J Neurosurg 2001; 94:552-558. Nutt JG, Anderson VC, Peacock JH, Hammerstad JP, Burchiel KJ. DBS and diathermy interaction induces severe CNS damage. Neurology 2001; 56:1384-1386. Oh MY, Hodaie M, Kim SH, Alkhani A, Lang AE, Lozano AM. Deep brain stimulator electrodes used for lesioning: proof of principle. Neurosurgery 2001; 49:363-367. Goetz CG, Stebbins GT, Shale HM, et al. Utility of an objective dyskinesia rating scale for Parkinson's disease: inter- and intrarater reliability assessment. Mov Disord 1994; 9: 390-394.
Vitek JL, Bakay RA, Freeman A, et al. Randomized trial of pallidotomy versus medical therapy for Parkinson's disease. Ann Neurol 2003; 53:558-569.
42. de Bie RM, de Haan RJ, Nihssen PC, et al. Unilateral pallidotomy in Parkinson's disease: a randomised, single-blind, multicentre trial. Lancet 1999; 354:1665-1669.
43. Esselink RA, de Bie RM, de Haan RJ, et al. Unilateral pallidotomy versus bilateral subthalamic nucleus stimulation in PD: a randomized trial. Neurology 2004; 62:201-207.
44. Merello M, Nouzeilles MI, Cammarota A, Betti O, Leiguarda R. Comparison of 1-year follow-up evaluations of patients with indication for pallidotomy who did not undergo surgery versus patients with Parkinson's disease who did undergo pallidotomy: a case control study. Neurosurgery 1999; 44:461-467.
45. Laitinen LV, Bergenheim AT, Hariz MI. Leksell's posteroventral pallidotomy in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. J Neurosurg 1992; 76:53-61.
46. Iacono RP, Lonser RR, Mandybur G, Morenski JD, Yamada S, Shima F. Stereotactic pallidotomy results for Parkinson's exceed those of fetal graft. Am Surg 1994; 60:777-782.
47. Kondziolka D, Bonaroti E, Baser S, Brandt F, Kim YS, Lunsford LD. Outcomes after stereotactically guided pallidotomy for advanced Parkinson's disease. J Neurosurg 1999; 90:197-202.
48. Samii A, Turnbull IM, Kishore A, et al. Reassessment of unilateral pallidotomy in Parkinson's disease. A 2-year follow-up study. Brain 1999; 122:417-425.
49. Baron MS, Vitek JL, Bakay RA, et al. Treatment of advanced Parkinson's disease by unilateral posterior GPi pallidotomy: 4-year results of a pilot study. Mov Disord 2000; 15:230-237.
50. Alterman RL, Kelly P, Sterio D, et al. Selection criteria for unilateral posteroventral pal-lidotomy. Acta Neurochir Suppl Wien. 1997; 68:18-23.
51. Dalvi A, Winfield L, Yu Q, Cote L, Goodman RR, Pullman SL. Stereotactic posteroventral pallidotomy: clinical methods and results at 1-year follow up. Mov Disord 1999; 14: 256-261.
52. de Bie R, Schuurman PR, Haan PS, Bosch A, Speelman JD. Unilateral pallidotomy in advanced Parkinson's disease: a retrospective study of 26 patients. Mov Disord 1999; 14:951-957.
53. Fazzini E, Dogali M, Sterio D, Eidelberg D, Beric A. Sterotactic pallidotomy for Parkinson's disease: a long-term follow-up of unilateral pallidotomy. Neurology 1997; 48:1273-1277.
54. Hirai T, Ryu H, Nagaseki Y, Gaur MS, Fujii M, Takizawa T. Image-guided electrophysi-ologically controlled posteroventral pallidotomy for the treatment of Parkinson's disease: a 28-case analysis. Adv Neurol 1999; 80:585-591.
55. Jankovic J, Ben Arie L, Schwartz K, et al. Movement and reaction times and fine coordination tasks following pallidotomy. Mov Disord 1999; 14:57-62.
56. Johansson F, Malm J, Nordh E, Hariz M. Usefulness of pallidotomy in advanced Parkinson's disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1997; 62:125-132.
57. Laitinen LV. Pallidotomy for Parkinson's disease. Neurosurg Clin N Am 1995; 6:105-112.
58. Lang AE, Lozano AM, Montgomery EB, Tasker RR, Hutchison WD. Posteroventral medial pallidotomy in advanced Parkinson's disease. Adv Neurol 1999; 80:575-583.
59. Masterman D, DeSalles A, Baloh RW, et al. Motor, cognitive, and behavioral performance following unilateral ventroposterior pallidotomy for Parkinson disease. Arch Neurol 1998; 55:1201-1208.
60. Shannon KM, Penn RD, Kroin JS, et al. Stereotactic pallidotomy for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Efficacy and adverse effects at 6 months in 26 patients. Neurology 1998; 50:434-438.
61. Fine J, Duff J, Chen R, et al. Long-term follow-up of unilateral pallidotomy in advanced Parkinson's disease. N Engl J Med 2000; 342:1708-1714.
62. Roberts-Warrior D, Overby A, Jankovic J, et al. Postural control in Parkinson's disease after unilateral posteroventral pallidotomy. Brain 2000; 123(Pt 10):2141-2149.
63. Siegel KL, Metman LV. Effects of bilateral posteroventral pallidotomy on gait of subjects with Parkinson disease. Arch Neurol 2000; 57:198-204.
64. Trepanier LL, Saint Cyr JA, Lozano AM, Lang AE. Neuropsychological consequences of posteroventral pallidotomy for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Neurology 1998; 51:207-215.
65. Alegret M, Valldeoriola F, Tolosa E, et al. Cognitive effects of unilateral posteroventral pallidotomy: a 4-year follow-up study. Mov Disord 2003; 18:323-328.
Lang AE, Lozano A, Tasker R, Duff J, Saint-Cyr J, Trepanier L. Neuropsychological and behavioral changes and weight gain after medial pallidotomy. Ann Neurol 1997; 41: 834-836.
Ondo WG, Ben Aire L, Jankovic J, Lai E, Contant C, Grossman R. Weight gain following unilateral pallidotomy in Parkinson's disease. Acta Neurol Scand 2000; 101:79-84. Gross RE, Lombardi WJ, Hutchison WD, et al. Variability in lesion location after microelectrode-guided pallidotomy for Parkinson's disease: anatomical, physiological, and technical factors that determine lesion distribution. J Neurosurg 1999; 90:468-477. Gross RE, Lombardi WJ, Lang AE, et al. Relationship of lesion location to clinical outcome following microelectrode-guided pallidotomy for Parkinson's disease. Brain 1999; 122:405-416.
Iacono RP, Carlson JD, Mohamed AS, Kuniyoshi SM. Reversal of levodopa failure syndrome by posteroventral-ansa pallidotomy. Adv Neurol 1999; 80:619-622. Ghika J, Villemure JG, Fankhauser H, Favre J, Assal G, Ghika-Schmid F. Efficiency and safety of bilateral contemporaneous pallidal stimulation (deep brain stimulation) in levodopa-responsive patients with Parkinson's disease with severe motor fluctuations: a 2-year follow-up review. J Neurosurg 1998; 89:713-718.
Merello M, Starkstein S, Nouzeilles MI, Kuzis G, Leiguarda R. Bilateral pallidotomy for treatment of Parkinson's disease induced corticobulbar syndrome and psychic akinesia avoidable by globus pallidus lesion combined with contralateral stimulation. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2001; 71:611-614.
Intemann PM, Masterman D, Subramanian I, et al. Staged bilateral pallidotomy for treatment of Parkinson disease. J Neurosurg 2001; 94:437-444.
de Bie RM, Schuurman PR, Esselink RA, Bosch DA, Speelman JD. Bilateral pallidotomy in Parkinson's disease: a retrospective study. Mov Disord 2002; 17:533-538. Counihan TJ, Shinobu LA, Eskandar EN, Cosgrove GR, Penney JB. Outcomes following staged bilateral pallidotomy in advanced Parkinson's disease. Neurology 2001; 56: 799-802.
Parkin SG, Gregory RP, Scott R, et al. Unilateral and bilateral pallidotomy for idiopathic Parkinson's disease: a case series of 115 patients. Mov Disord 2002; 17:682-692. Hassler R, Mundinger F, Riechert T. Correlations between clinical and autopic findings in steroeotaxic operations of parkinsonism. Confin Neurol 1965; 26:282-290. Hassler R, Mundinger F, Riechert T. Pathophysiology of tremor at rest derived from the correlation of anatomical and clinical data. Confin Neurol 1970; 32:79-87. Plaha P, Ben Shlomo Y, Patel NK, Gill SS. Stimulation of the caudal zona incerta is superior to stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in improving contralateral parkinsonism. Brain 2006; 129:1732-1747.
Valalik I, Sagi S, Solymosi D, Julow J. CT-guided unilateral thalamotomy with macro-electrode mapping for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Acta Neurochir 2001; 143:1019-1030.
Garonzik IM, Hua SE, Ohara S, Lenz FA. Intraoperative microelectrode and semi-microelectrode recording during the physiological localization of the thalamic nucleus ventral intermediate. Mov Disord 2002; 17(suppl 3):S135-S144.
Ashkan K, Wallace B, Bell BA, Benabid AL. Deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's disease 1993-2003: where are we 10 years on? Br J Neurosurg 2004; 18:19-34.
Perry VL, Lenz FA. Ablative therapy for movement disorders. Thalamotomy for Parkinson's disease. Neurosurg Clin N Am 1998; 9:317-324.
Kelly PJ, Gillingham FJ. The long-term results of stereotaxic surgery and L-dopa therapy in patients with Parkinson's disease. A 10-year follow-up study. J Neurosurg 1980; 53:332-337.
Fox MW, Ahlskog JE, Kelly PJ. Stereotactic ventrolateralis thalamotomy for medically refractory tremor in post-levodopa era Parkinson's disease patients. J Neurosurg 1991; 75:723-730.
Diederich N, Goetz CG, Stebbins GT, et al. Blinded evaluation confirms long-term asymmetric effect of unilateral thalamotomy or subthalamotomy on tremor in Parkinson's disease. Neurology 1992; 42:1311-1314.
87. Jankovic J, Hamilton WJ, Grossman RG. Thalamic surgery for movement disorders. Adv Neurol 1997; 74:221-233.
88. Ojemann GA, Hoyenga KB, Ward AA. Prediction of short-term verbal memory disturbance after ventrolateral thalamotomy. J Neurosurg 1971; 35:203-210.
89. Bruce BB, Foote KD, Rosenbek J, et al. Aphasia and thalamotomy: important issues. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 2004; 82:186-190.
90. Schuurman PR, Bosch DA, Bossuyt PM, et al. A comparison of continuous thalamic stimulation and thalamotomy for suppression of severe tremor. N Engl J Med 2000; 342:461-468.
91. Tasker RR. Deep brain stimulation is preferable to thalamotomy for tremor suppression. Surg Neurol 1998; 49:145-153.
92. Lyons KE, Koller WC, Wilkinson SB, Pahwa R. Long term safety and efficacy of unilateral deep brain stimulation of the thalamus for parkinsonian tremor. J Neurol Neuro-surg Psychiatry 2001; 71:682-684.
93. Oh MY, Abosch A, Kim SH, Lang AE, Lozano AM. Long-term hardware-related complications of deep brain stimulation. Neurosurgery 2002; 50:1268-1274.
94. Pahwa R, Lyons KE, Wilkinson SB, et al. Comparison of thalamotomy to deep brain stimulation of the thalamus in essential tremor. Mov Disord 2001; 16:140-143.
95. Atkinson JD, Collins DL, Bertrand G, Peters TM, Pike GB, Sadikot AF. Optimal location of thalamotomy lesions for tremor associated with Parkinson disease: a probabilistic analysis based on postoperative magnetic resonance imaging and an integrated digital atlas. J Neurosurg 2002; 96:854-866.
96. Speelman JD, Schuurman R, de Bie RM, Esselink RA, Bosch A. Stereotactic neurosurgery for tremor. Mov Disord 2002; 17(suppl 3):S84-S88.
97. Rossitch E, Zeidman SM, Nashold BS, et al. Evaluation of memory and language function pre- and postthalamotomy with an attempt to define those patients at risk for postoperative dysfunction. Surg Neurol 1988; 29:11-16.
98. Wichmann T, Bergman H, DeLong MR. The primate subthalamic nucleus. I. Functional properties in intact animals. J Neurophysiol 1994; 72:494-506.
99. Carpenter M, Whittier J, Mettler F. Analysis of choreic hyperkinesia in the rhesus monkey. Surgical and pharmacological analysis of hyperkinesia resulting form lesions in the subthalamic nucleus of Luys. J Comp Neurol 1950; 92:293-331.
100. Bergman H, Wichmann T, DeLong MR. Reversal of experimental parkinsonism by lesions of the subthalamic nucleus. Science 1990; 249:1436-1438.
101. Aziz TZ, Peggs D, Sambrook MA, Crossman AR. Lesion of the subthalamic nucleus for the alleviation of 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP)-induced parkinsonism in the primate. Mov Disord 1991; 6:288-292.
102. Aziz TZ, Peggs D, Agarwal E, Sambrook MA, Crossman AR. Subthalamic nucleotomy alleviates parkinsonism in the 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP)-exposed primate. Br J Neurosurg 1992; 6:575-582.
103. Fager CA. Evaluation of thalamic and subthalamic surgical lesions in the alleviation of Parkinson's disease. J Neurosurg 1968; 28:145-149.
104. Limousin P, Pollak P, Benazzouz A, et al. Bilateral subthalamic nucleus stimulation for severe Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 1995; 10:672-674.
105. Gill S, Heywood P. Bilateral subthalamic nucleotomy can be accomplished safely. Mov Disord 1998; 13(suppl 2):201.
106. Patel NK, Heywood P, O'Sullivan K, McCarter R, Love S, Gill SS. Unilateral subthalam-otomy in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Brain 2003; 126:1136-1145.
107. Su PC, Tseng HM, Liu HM, Yen RF, Liou HH. Treatment of advanced Parkinson's disease by subthalamotomy: one-year results. Mov Disord 2003; 18:531-538.
108. Chen CC, Lee ST, Wu T, Chen CJ, Huang CC, Lu CS. Hemiballism after subthalamotomy in patients with Parkinson's disease: report of 2 cases. Mov Disord 2002; 17:1367-1371.
109. Tseng HM, Su PC, Liu HM. Persistent hemiballism after subthalamotomy: the size of the lesion matters more than the location. Mov Disord 2003; 18:1209-1211.
110. Su PC, Tseng HM, Liou HH. Postural asymmetries following unilateral subthalomo-tomy for advanced Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 2002; 17:191-194.
111. Gill SS, Heywood P. Bilateral dorsolateral subthalamotomy for advanced Parkinson's disease. Lancet 1997; 350:1224.
112. Alvarez L, Macias R, Lopez G, et al. Bilateral subthalamotomy in Parkinson's disease: initial and long-term response. Brain 2005; 128:570-583.
113. Merello M, Perez-Lloret S, Antico J, Obeso JA. Dyskinesias induced by subthalamotomy in Parkinson's disease are unresponsive to amantadine. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2006; 77:172-174.
Was this article helpful?