The exact causes of AN are not currently known, but the current thinking about AN is that it is caused by multiple factors. There are several models that can identify risk factors and psychological conditions that predispose people to develop AN. The predisposing risk factors include:
• female gender
• personality factors, including being eager to please other people and high expectations for oneself
• family history of eating disorders
• living in an industrialized society
• difficulty communicating negative emotions such as anger or fear
• difficulty resolving problems or conflict
Was this article helpful?