Common causes of dementia include:
• Alzheimer's disease (common, dominant memory impairment with gradual decline).
• Vascular dementia (fluctuating course?).
• Pick's disease (prominent frontal lobe signs, disinhibition, primitive reflexes).
• Dementia with parkinsonism (e.g. Lewy body dementia).
• Creutzfeld-Jakob disease (rare, rapid decline, myoclonus [though this can be seen in other dementias]).
Treatable causes of dementia include:
• Vitamin B12 deficiency.
• Cerebral vasculitis neurosyphylis.
• Frontal lobe meningioma.
• Medication related.
Was this article helpful?
The comprehensive new ebook All About Alzheimers puts everything into perspective. Youll gain insight and awareness into the disease. Learn how to maintain the patients emotional health. Discover tactics you can use to deal with constant life changes. Find out how counselors can help, and when they should intervene. Learn safety precautions that can protect you, your family and your loved one. All About Alzheimers will truly empower you.