• the specimen is weighed (g) and measured (cm). The relationship of tumour to any recognisable organs such as the kidney that are present in the resection is noted.
• the surface of the specimen is painted with ink.
• if the specimen is received unfixed then consideration should be given to the use of ancillary techniques as described above.
• the specimen is fixed in formalin for 24-36 hours. It may be advantageous to cleanly bisect large specimens after a few hours to allow adequate fixation in the centre.
• the specimen is serially sectioned at intervals of 1-2 cm.
Was this article helpful?