• open the pharynx longitudinally with scissors and identify site of tumour.
• ink the external and mucosal resection margins.
• slice into 4 mm-thick slices transversely.
- length and width of specimen (cm).
- maximum thickness (cm).
- dimensions (cm) of mucosal defects and other specimens.
maximum depth from reconstructed mucosal surface (cm). distances to closest mucosal and deep surgical margins (cm). mucosal abnormalities.
• tumour mucosa extent other plaque-like/ulcerated/fungating: usual type SCC.
warty: well-differentiated SC, verrucous carcinoma.
polypoid: spindle cell SCC.
white/thickened: in-situ lesions.
confined to pharynx or spread to adjacent structures.
neck dissection, oesophagectomy, thyroid gland.
Was this article helpful?