• if intact, orientate the specimen and ink its margins.
• otherwise, if a larger specimen is submitted, ink its margins. A line of ink drawn across medium-sized fragments can aid orientation after microscopic examination and assist assessment of margins.
• slice the larger pieces into 0.4 cm-thick slices transversely, using a band saw or equivalent.
- if fragmented, number of fragments, total weight (g) and dimensions of largest specimen (cm).
- number of fragments consisting of tumour.
- distance to closest surgical margins (cm).
Was this article helpful?