Final reports of tonsillectomy specimens should include details on:
• the type of tumour present:
- squamous cell carcinoma NOS.
- SCC variants include basaloid, adenosquamous, spindle cell, verrucous adenocarcinoma (salivary gland types).
- neuroendocrine carcinomas.
• the grade of tumour assessed at the invasive front:
- cohesive or non-cohesive patterns (more metastasis with non-cohesive).
• the extent of local spread.
• the distance of tumour from the nearest mucosal margin.
• the distance of the tumour from the nearest deep margin.
• the presence of intravascular and perineural spread.
If other specimens are attached as an in-continuity dissection (e.g., oropharyngeal or lingual mucosa, neck dissection, etc.), these can be cut separately in the usual fashion.
Was this article helpful?