The histology should represent the deepest extent of the tumour, the relationship to the laryngeal cartilages, mucosal and deep soft tissue margins and changes in adjacent tissues (Figure 15.4).
• at least one block of tumour per centimetre of maximum dimension.
• mucosal and deep surgical margins.
• both vocal cords (individually identified) even if normal.
• samples of other lesions, e.g., mucosal white areas.
• tracheostomy site (if present).
• perilaryngeal lymph nodes not part of the neck dissection.
Was this article helpful?