• for large nodes, submit one representative slice; for smaller nodes, submit in total. Remember to keep the nodes from each level separate.
• one block of each of the following is recommended unless involved by tumour:
- the submandibular and parotid glands.
- the closest medial and lateral deep surgical margins.
• if other specimens are attached to the neck as an "in-continuity dissection" (e.g., skin, mandible, oral mucosa, thyroid gland, larynx or pharynx), these can be cut separately in the usual fashion.
Was this article helpful?