• trim off any excess mesenteric fat and only process that which appears abnormal.
• process in one cassette a 1-1.5 cm longitudinal slice from the tip along with a transverse section from the base.
• serially section the rest of the appendix transversely at 3 mm intervals with a sharp scalpel.
• sample five to six slices, approximately one slice per 1-1.5 cm length and process in a separate cassette from that of the tip/base.
• sample any area of mural thinning or focal lesion as indicated by gross inspection.
• if part of a formal cancer resection specimen, e.g., right hemicolectomy, dissect and sample as previously described.
Was this article helpful?