• resection margins (see above).
• serial 3-4 mm cuts parallel to the plane of hemisection provide suitable slices for subdividing and harvesting of blocks.
• sample the tumour (a minimum of six blocks) in relation to the ampulla, pancreas, duct structures, duodenum, and peripancreatic tissues including the painted and labelled anatomical/surgical margins.
• sample uninvolved pancreas, stomach and duodenum.
• count and sample all lymph nodes.
• if other organs are present (total or regional pancreatectomy - pancreaticoduodenectomy, gastrectomy, splenectomy, portal vein, transverse colectomy, mesocolon, omentum and regional nodes): describe, weigh, measure, paint and block according to the macroscopic degree of tumour spread. Label the blocks as to their site of origin.
Was this article helpful?