1. Hessler, J.R. and Leary, S.L., Design and management of animal facilities, in Laboratory Animal Medicine, 2nd ed., Fox, J. and Lowe, F., Eds., Academic Press, New York, 2002, chap. 21.
2. Shalev, M., Ed., Facility Design and Planning, Lab Animal, New York, NY, Fall 2001.
3. Hessler, J.R., The history of environmental improvements in laboratory animal science: caging systems, equipment, and facility design, in Fifty Years of Laboratory Animal Science, McPherson, C. and Mattingly, S., Eds., American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, Memphis, TN, 1999, chap. 15.
4. Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources, Commission on Life Sciences, National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences, Guide for the Care and Use ofLaboratory Animals, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1996.
5. Council of Europe, European Convention for the Protection of Vertebrate Animals Used for Experimental and Other Scientific Purposes, Council of Europe (Convention ETS 123), 1985 (adopted May, 1999).
6. Canadian Council on Animal Care, Guide to the Care and Use of Experimental Animals, Volume 1 (2nd ed.), Canadian Council on Animal Care, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 1993 (adopted May, 1999).
7. Federation of Animal Science Societies, Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Agricultural Research and Teaching, 1st revised ed. (adopted January, 1999) FASS, Savoy, IL, 1999.
8. National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences, Occupational Health and Safety in the Care and Use of Research Animals (adopted September, 1997) National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1997.
9. Hessler J.R., Single- versus dual-corridor systems: advantages, disadvantages, limitations, and alternatives for effective contamination control, in Handbook of Facilities Planning, Vol. 2, Laboratory Animal Facilities, Ruys, T., Ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, NY, 1991, pp. 59-67.
10. Leary, S.L., Majoros, J.A., and Tomson, J.S., Making cagewash facility design a priority, Lab Animal, 27, 28-31, 1998.
11. Fullerton, F.R., Greenman, D.I., and Kendall, D.C., Effects of storage conditions on nutritional qualities of semipurified (AIJN-76) and natural ingredient (NIH-07) diets, J. Nutrition, 12, 567-573, 1982.
12. American Veterinary Medical Association, Guidelines for animal surgery in research and teaching, Am. J. Vet. Res, 54, 1544-1559, 1993.
13. Hessler, J.R., Facilities to support research, in Handbook of Facilities Planning, Vol. 2, Laboratory Animal Facilities, Ruys T., Ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, NY, 1991, pp. 35-54.
14. Cunliffe-Beamer, T.L., Applying principles of aseptic surgery to rodents. AWICNewsletter, 4, 2, 3-6,
Was this article helpful?