Emtricitabine is a well-tolerated cytidine analog, comparable to 3TC both biochemically and in its resistance profile, but has a significantly longer half-life. It can be taken once a day. Trade name: Emtriva™
Previously: Coviracil™; also in Truvada™ in combination with tenofovir.
Hard capsules with 200 mg; solution: 170 ml with 10 mg/ml.
Drug class: NRTI
Indications: HIV infection
Dose: 200 mg qd (solution: recommended dose 240 mg = 24 ml) Dose adjustment is required with reduced creatinine clearance:
Emtricitabine (FTC) 649
200 mg every 2 days 200 mg every 3 days 200 mg every 4 days
Below 14 or ialysis
Side effects: probably rare. Most commonly headache, nausea, diarrhea, rash. Possibly hyperpigmentation.
USA: http://hiv.net/link.php?id=223 References:
1. Bang LM, Scott LJ. Emtricitabine: An antiretroviral agent for HIV infection. Drugs 2003; 63: 2413-24. http://amedeo.com/lit.php?id=14609348
2. Benson C, Quinn JB, Wakeford C, Moxham C, Rousseau F. Overview of the comparative effectiveness of triple combination therapy regimens of emtricitabine (FTC) and lamivudine (3TC) in antiretro-viral-naive HIV-1 infected adults. XIV International AIDS Conference, Barcelona 2002. Abstract Tu-PeB4430. http://hiv.net/link.php?id=91
3. Dando TM, Wagstaff AJ. Emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. Drugs 2004; 64: 2075-82 http://amedeo.com/lit.php?id=15341498
4. Gazzard B, DeJesus E, Campo R, et al. The combination of tenofovir DF (TDF), emtricitabine (FTC) and efavirenz (EFV) has significantly greater response vs fixed dose zidovudine/lamivudine (CBV) and EFV in antiretroviral naive patients: a 24 week preliminary analyis. Abstract H1137c, 44th ICAAC 2004, Washington.
5. Hazen R, Lanier ER. Relative Anti-HIV-1 Efficacy of Lamivudine and Emtricitabine In Vitro Is Dependent on Cell Type. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2003; 32: 255-8. http://amedeo.com/lit.php?id=12626884
6. Rousseau FS, Wakeford C, Mommeja-Marin H, et al. Prospective randomized trial of emtricitabine versus Lamivudine short-term monotherapy in HIV-infected patients. J Infect Dis 2003; 188: 1652-8. http://amedeo.com/lit.php?id=14639535
7. Saag MS, Cahn P, Raffi F, et al. Efficacy and safety of emtricitabine vs stavudine in combination therapy in antiretroviral-naive patients: a randomized trial. JAMA 2004; 292: 180-9. http://amedeo.com/lit.php?id=15249567
8. Wang LH, Wiznia AA, Rathore MH, et al. Pharmacokinetics and safety of single oral doses of emtricitabine in human immunodeficiency virus-infected children. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2004; 48: 183-91. http://amedeo.com/lit.php?id=14693538
Emtriva™ see Emtricitabine
Enfuvirtide see T-20
Epivir™ see 3TC
Epzicom™ see Kivexa
Erypo™ see Erythropoetin
Was this article helpful?