REQUIREMENT. The following exercises are to be answered by completing the incomplete statement or by writing the answer in the space provided at the end of the question.
After you have completed all the exercises, turn to "Solutions to Exercises," at the end of the lesson and check your answers.
1. What is the human digestive system?
2. What are six major organs of the human digestive system?
3. What are seven important structures associated with the oral cavity?
4. The anterior teeth, called incisors and canine teeth, serve as The posterior teeth, called molars, serve as_.
5. The palate serves as the roof of the_
_. The soft palate serves as a and the floor of the to close off the upper respiratory passageway during swallowing.
6. The tongue aids in and
The pharynx is a common passageway for both the _systems.
8. The esophagus serves as a passageway for food from the
9. What is the stomach?
10. The process of digestion is facilitated by special chemicals called __. Most digestion and absorption take place in the
11. In order after the stomach, the three areas of the small intestines are the _, the_, and the_. The jejunum and ileum are attached to the rear wall of the abdomen with a membrane called the
12. Folds on the inner surfaces of the small intestines are known as _. Finger-like projections from these folds are known as
13. The digestive function of the liver is to produce a fluid called
The common bile duct joins with the duct of the pancreas as the fluid enters the
14. The texture of the pancreas is_and
Pertaining to location, the pancreas is stretched across the_
15. The primary function of the large intestine is to_water and electrolytes. The large intestines remove water until a nearly solid mass is formed before .
16. In order, the major subdivisions of the large intestines are the , the colon, the colon, the colon, and the colon.
17. The rectum terminates in the narrow_, at the end of which is an opening called the_. Muscles called aid in the retention of feces until defecation.
18. Attached to the cecum is a mass of lymphoid tissue called the
Was this article helpful?