REQUIREMENT. The following exercises are to be answered by completing the incomplete statement or by writing the answer in the space provided at the end of the question.
After you have completed all the exercises, turn to "Solutions to Exercises," at the end of the lesson and check your answers.
1. What is included in the integumentary system?
2. What is another name for the integument proper?
3. What are three types of integumentary derivatives?
4. What is a fascia?
5. What is the subcutaneous layer (superficial fascia)?
6. Where are deep fasciae found in the body?
7. What is the investing deep fascia?
8. What is the outer layer of the skin?
What is the inner and deeper layer of the skin?
9. What type of tissue makes up the epidermis?
What is the basic structure of the innermost layer of the epidermis?
What are characteristics of cells found in the outermost layers of the epidermis?
10. What type of tissue makes up the dermis?
What are papillae and what is their function?
What other structures are found in the dermis?
11. A hair follicle is formed by the_
At the base of the hair follicle is the_
The hair shaft grows out from the_
The hair shaft is made of cells from the
12. Sweat glands consist of
13. Sebaceous glands produce_.
Its function is to_.
The sebaceous glands are usually found as a part of the walls of
14. In mammary glands, milk ducts connect each nipple with
What types of connective tissue fill in the spaces?
15. Nails are found on the ends of the_
Nails help to protect_
The nail itself is made up of_
The nails grow continuously from their
16. The term serous refers to a
Serous cavities are_
17. Each bursa is a small sac located between_, usually a muscle moving over a_. The bursa reduces the_between two structures. The serous membrane lining the cavity within a bursa is a_and it secretes a_into the serous cavity.
18. Each lung is encased in a serous cavity called the_. The heart lies in a serous cavity called the_. The intestines move freely within the
Was this article helpful?