REQUIREMENT. The following exercises are to be answered by completing the incomplete statement or by writing the answer in the space provided at the end of the question.
After you have completed all the exercises, turn to "Solutions to Exercises," at the end of the lesson and check your answers.
1. What is a tissue?
2. What are the most common types of tissues?
3. What is epithelial tissue?
4. If an outer layer of epithelial tissue consists of flat cells and if there are several layers of cells in the tissue, then what is the type of epithelial tissue?
5. What is connective tissue?
6. What term is used for the material found among and outside the cells of connective tissue?
7. The four major types of connective tissue (CT) are_CT,
8. Characteristic cells of fibrous CT are _. Cartilage cells are also called_. Cells that make and repair bone are_. Cells that tear down and remove bone are .
9. The matrix of fibrous CT consists of_. The matrix produced by cartilage cells appears h_and a_. Fat CT has a matrix of
10. Two major types of fibrous connective tissue (FCT) are_FCT, which is a filling substance around most organs and tissues of the body, and_FCT, which is found, for example, in ligaments and tendons.
11. What type of connective tissue has an amorphous, homogeneous matrix?
12. What type of connective tissue has a matrix of lipid (fat or oil)?
13. What are muscle tissues?
14. The cells of one type of muscle tissue are spindle-shaped, contain one nucleus, and are not striated. What is this tissue called?
15. Which type of muscle tissue has cells which have one nucleus and are short, branched, and striated?
16. Which type of muscle tissue has cells which have numerous nuclei and are long and cylindrical?
17. What is nervous tissue?
18. What type of tissue has cells that respond to stimuli and transmit information?
19. A nerve cell, which actually picks up and transmits a signal, is also known as a .
20. The supporting structure of the nervous system is known as the _or the .
Was this article helpful?