Complete the following: 1. Fasten a recording of a sustained contraction in the space below.
2. On the sustained contraction recording, indicate when the muscle twitches began to combine (summate), and label the period of tetanic contraction and the period of fatigue.
3. At what frequency of stimulation did tetanic contraction occur? _
4. How long did it take for the tetanic muscle to fatigue? _
5. Is the length of muscle contraction at the beginning of tetanic contraction the same or different from the length of the single muscle contractions before tetanic contraction occurred?_How do you explain this?
6. How long did it take for the fatigued muscle to become responsive again?
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.