Complete the following:
1. What was the change in the level of molasses in 10 minutes?_
2. What was the change in the level of molasses in 30 minutes?_
3. How do you explain this change? _
4. Briefly define osmosis.
Critical Thinking Application v,
Indicate which of the following involves osmosis by answering yes or no.
1. A fresh potato is peeled, weighed, and soaked in a strong salt solution. The next day it is discovered that the potato has lost weight._
2. Garden grass wilts after being exposed to dry chemical fertilizer._
3. Air molecules escape from a punctured tire as a result of high pressure inside._
4. Plant seeds soaked in water swell and become several times as large as before soaking._
5. When the bulb of a thistle tube filled with water is sealed by a selectively permeable membrane and submerged in a beaker of molasses, the water level in the tube falls._
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.