Complete the following statements:
1. Each of the thirty-one segments of the spinal cord gives rise to a pair of_.
2. The bulge in the spinal cord that gives off nerves to the upper limbs is called the_
3. The bulge in the spinal cord that gives off nerves to the lower limbs is called the_
4. The_is a groove that extends the length of the spinal cord posteriorly.
5. In a spinal cord cross section, the posterior_of the gray matter appear as the upper wings of a butterfly.
6. The cell bodies of motor neurons are found in the_horns of the spinal cord.
7. The_connects the gray matter on the left and right sides of the spinal cord.
8. The_in the gray commissure of the spinal cord contains cerebrospinal fluid and is continuous with the ventricles of the brain.
9. The white matter of the spinal cord is divided into anterior, lateral, and posterior_.
10. Collectively, the dura mater, arachnoid mater, and pia mater are called the_.
a. arachnoid mater b. denticulate ligament c. dural sinus d. dura mater e. epidural space f. pia mater g. subarachnoid space
1. band of pia mater that attaches dura mater to cord
2. channel through which venous blood flows
3. outermost layer of meninges
4. follows irregular contours of spinal cord surface
5. contains cerebrospinal fluid
6. thin, weblike middle membrane
7. separates dura mater from bone of vertebra
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.