Complete the following statements:
ions tend to pass through cell membranes more easily than sodium ions.
2. When a nerve cell is at rest, there is a relatively greater concentration of ions outside of its membrane.
3. When sodium ions are actively transported outward through a nerve cell membrane,_
ions are transported inward.
4. The difference in electrical charge between the inside and the outside of a nerve cell membrane is called the _potential.
5. As a result of an additive phenomenon called_, the threshold potential of a membrane may be reached.
6. An action potential is a rapid sequence of changes involving_and repolarization.
7. The moment following the passage of an action potential during which a threshold stimulus will not trigger another impulse is called the_period.
8. Muscle fiber contraction and nerve impulse conduction are similar in that both are_
9. Myelin contains a high proportion of_.
10. Nodes of Ranvier occur between adjacent_.
11. The type of conduction in which an impulse seems to jump from node to node is called_
12. The greater the diameter of a nerve fiber, the_the impulse travels.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.