1. Rao, V. and Weisel R. D., (1997) Intraoperative protection of organs: Hhypothermia, cardioplegia, and cerebroplegia,Chapter 10, in Car diac Surgery in the Adult. Edmunds, L.H. (ed.), McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, pp. 295-318.
2. Yellon, D.M., Rahimtoola, S.H., Opie, L.H., et al. (eds.). (1997) Ischemic injury and myocardial protection: evolving concepts, Jennings, R. B., and Ischemic diastolic dysfunction and postis-chemic diastolic stunning, Apstein, C. S., Varma, N., and Eberli, F. R., in New Ischemic Syndromes: Beyond Angina and Infarction. Lippincott-Raven, New York, NY, pp. 10-20, 106-114.
3. Opie, L.H. (1998) The Heart: Physiology, from Cell to Circulation. Lippincott-Raven, New York, NY, 515-589
4. Shen, Y.T. and Vatner, S.F. (1995) Mechanism of impaired myocardial function during progressive coronary stenosis in conscious pigs. Hibernation versus stunning? Circ Res. 76, 479-88.
5. Bolli, R. and Marban, E. (1999) Molecular and cellular mechanisms of myocardial stunning. Physiol Rev. 79, 609-634.
6. Karmazyn, M. and Moffat, M.P. (1993) Role of Na+/H+ exchange in cardiac physiology and pathophysiology: mediation of myocardial reperfusion injury by the pH paradox. Cardiovasc Res. 27, 915-924.
7. Miller, W.P., McDonald, K.S., and Moss, R.L. (1996) Onset of reduced Ca2+ sensitivity of tension during stunning in porcine myocardium. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 28, 689-697.
8. Kusuoka, H., Koretsune, Y., Chacko, V.P., et al. (1990) Excitation-contraction coupling in postischemic myocardium. Does failure of activator Ca2+ transients underlie stunning? Circ Res. 66, 12681276.
9. McDonough, J.L., Labugger, R., Pickett, W., et al. (2001) Cardiac troponin I is modified in the myocardium of bypass patients. Circulation. 103, 58-64.
10. Opie, L.H. and du Toit, E.F. (1992) Postischemic stunning: the two-phase model for the role of calcium as pathogen. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 20, S1-S4.
11. Aguilera, I.M. and Vaughan, R.S. (2000) Calcium and the anaesthetist. Anaesthesia. 55, 779-790.
12. Robertie, P.G., Butterworth, J.F., Royster, R.L., et al. (1991) Normal parathyroid hormone responses to hypocalcemia during cardiopul-monary bypass. Anesthesiology. 75, 43-48.
13. Bolli, R., Patel, B.S., Jeroudi, M.O., et al. (1988) Demonstration of free radical generation in "stunned" myocardium of intact dogs with the use of the spin trap alpha-phenyl N-tert-butyl nitrone. J Clin Invest. 82, 476-485.
14. Heusch, G.,and Schulz, R. (2002) Myocardial hibernation. ItalHeart J. 3, 282-284.
15. Boden, W.E., Brooks, W.W., Conrad, C.H., et al. (1995) Incomplete, delayed functional recovery late after reperfusion following acute myocardial infarction: "maimed myocardium." Am Heart J. 130, 922-932.
16. Murry, C.E., Jennings, R.B., and Reimer, K.A. (1986) Preconditioning with ischemia: a delay of lethal cell injury in ischemic myocardium. Circulation. 74, 1124-1136.
17. Lawson, C.S., Coltart, D.J., and Hearse, D.J. (1993) "Dose"-depen-dency and temporal characteristics of protection by ischaemic preconditioning against ischaemia-induced arrhythmias in rat hearts. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 25, 1391-1402.
18. Schultz, J.E., Rose, E., Yao, Z., et al. (1995) Evidence for involvement of opioid receptors in ischemic preconditioning in rat hearts. Am J Physiol. 268, H2157-H2161.
19. Coles, J.A., Jr., Sigg, D.C., and Iaizzo, P.A. (2003) Role of kappa-opioid receptor activation in pharmacological preconditioning in swine. Am Journal Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 284, 2091-2099.
20. Sigg, D.C., Coles, J.A., Jr., Gallagher, W.J., et al. (2001) Opioid cardioprotection: myocardial function and energy metabolism. Ann Thorac Surg. 72, 1576-1582.
21. Yellon, D.M. and Downey, J.M. (2003) Preconditioning the myocardium: from cellular physiology to clinical cardiology. Physiol Rev. 83, 1113-1151.
22. Gross, G.J. (2003) Role of opioids in acute and delayed preconditioning. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 35, 709-718.
23. Cohn, P.F., Fox, K.M., and Daly, C. (2003) Silent myocardial ischemia. Circulation. 108, 1263-1277.
24. Fliss, H. and Gattinger, D. (1996) Apoptosis in ischemic and reperfused rat myocardium. Circ Res. 79, 949-956.
25. Opie, L.H. and Coetzee, W.A. (1988) Role of calcium ions in reperfusion arrhythmias: relevance to pharmacologic intervention. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2, 623-636.
26. Manning, A.S. and Hearse, D.J. (1984) Reperfusion-induced arrhythmias: mechanisms and prevention. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 16, 497-518.
27. Wehrens, X.H., Doevendans, P.A., Ophuis, T.J., et al. (2000) A comparison of electrocardiographic changes during reperfusion of acute myocardial infarction by thrombolysis or percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty. Am Heart J. 139, 430-436.
28. Maes, A., Van de Werf, F., Nuyts, J., et al. (1995) Impaired myocardial tissue perfusion early after successful thrombolysis. Impact on myocardial flow, metabolism, and function at late follow-up. Circulation. 92, 2072-2078.
29. Forde, R.C. and Fitzgerald, D.J. (1997) Reactive oxygen species and platelet activation in reperfusion injury. Circulation. 95, 787789.
30. Menasche, P., Peynet, J., Haeffner-Cavaillon, N., et al. (1995) Influence of temperature on neutrophil trafficking during clinical cardiopulmonary bypass. Circulation. 92, II334-II340.
31. Anderson, R.E., Li, T.Q., Hindmarsh, T., et al. (1999) Increased extracellular brain water after coronary artery bypass grafting is avoided by off-pump surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 13, 698702.
32. Karmazyn, M. (1998) The myocardial sodium-hydrogen exchanger (NHE) and its role in mediating ischemic and reperfusion injury. Keio J Med. 47, 65-72.
33. Inserte, J., Garcia-Dorado, D., Ruiz-Meana, M., et al. (1997) The role of the Na+-H+ exchange occurring during hypoxia in the genesis of reoxygenation-induced myocardial oedema. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 29, 1167-1175.
34. Garcia-Dorado, D., Gonzalez, M.A., Barrabes, J.A., et al. (1997) Prevention of ischemic rigor contracture during coronary occlusion by inhibition of Na(+)-H(+) exchange. Cardiovasc Res. 35, 80-89.
35. Klein, H.H., Bohle, R.M., Pich, S., et al. (1997) Time delay of cell death by Na+/H+ exchange inhibition in regionally ischemic, reperfused porcine hearts. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 30, 235-240.
36. Shipolini, A.R., Yokoyama, H., Galinanes, M., et al. (1997) Na+/H+ exchanger activity does not contribute to protection by ischemic preconditioning in the isolated rat heart. Circulation. 96, 3617-3625.
37. Yoshida, H. and Karmazyn, M. (2000) Na(+)/H(+) exchange inhibition attenuates hypertrophy and heart failure in 1-week post-infarction rat myocardium. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 278, H300-H304.
38. Myers, M.L., Farhangkhoee, P., and Karmazyn, M. (1998) Hydrogen peroxide induced impairment of post-ischemic ventricular function is prevented by the sodium-hydrogen exchange inhibitor HOE 642 (cariporide). Cardiovasc Res. 40, 290-296.
39. Mathur, S. and Karmazyn, M. (1997) Interaction between anesthetics and the sodium-hydrogen exchange inhibitor HOE 642 (cari-poride) in ischemic and reperfused rat hearts. Anesthesiology. 87, 1460-1469.
40. Hartmann, M. and Decking, U.K. (1999) Blocking Na(+)-H(+) exchange by cariporide reduces Na(+)-overload in ischemia and is cardioprotective. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 31, 1985-1995.
41. Theroux, P., Chaitman, B.R., Danchin, N., et al.(2000) Inhibition of the sodium-hydrogen exchanger with cariporide to prevent myocar-dial infarction in high-risk ischemic situations. Main results of the GUARDIAN trial. Guard During Ischemia Against Necrosis (Guardian) Investigators. Circulation. 102, 3032-3038.
42. Myers, M.L. and Karmazyn, M. (1996) Improved cardiac function after prolonged hypothermic ischemia with the Na+/H+ exchange inhibitor HOE 694. Ann Thorac Surg. 61, 1400-1406.
43. Zeymer, U., Suryapranata, H., Monassier, J.P., et al. (2001) The Na+/ H+ exchange inhibitor eniporide as an adjunct to early reperfusion therapy for acute myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 38, 16441650.
44. Bugge, E. and Yterhus, K. (1995) Inhibition of sodium-hydrogen exchange reduces infarct size in the isolated rat heart- a protective additive to ischaemic preconditioning. Cardiovasc Res. 29, 269-274.
45. Dhalla, N.S., Elmoselhi, A.B., Hata, T., et al. (2000) Status of myocardial antioxidants in ischemia-reperfusion injury. Cardiovasc Res. 47, 446-456.
46. Khaper, N., Rigatto, C., Seneviratne, C., et al. (1997) Chronic treatment with propranolol induces antioxidant changes and protects against ischemia-reperfusion injury. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 29, 3335-3344.
47. Kalaycioglu, S., Sinci, V., Imren, Y., et al. (1999) Metoprolol prevents ischemia-reperfusion injury by reducing lipid peroxidation. Jpn Circ J. 63, 718-721.
48. Feuerstein, G.Z., Yue, T.L., Cheng, H.Y., et al. (1993) Myocardial protection by the novel vasodilating beta-blocker, carvedilol: potential relevance of anti-oxidant activity. J Hypertens. 11, S41-S48.
49. Iyengar, S.R., Charrette, E.J., Iyengar, C.K., et al. (1976) Myocardial glycogen in prevention of perioperative ischemic injury of the heart: a preliminary report. Can J Surg. 19, 246-251.
50. Yellon, D.M. and Baxter, G.F. (1999) Reperfusion injury revisited: is there a role for growth factor signaling in limiting lethal reperfusion injury? Trends Cardiovasc Med. 9, 245-249.
51. Saraste, A., Pulkki, K., Kallajoki, M., et al. (1997) Apoptosis in human acute myocardial infarction. Circulation. 95, 320-323.
52. Baxter, G.F.M., Brar, B.K., Latchman, D.S., Yellon, D.M. (1998) Infarct-limiting action of transforming growth factor beta-1 in isolated rat heart is abolished. Circulation. 100, 1-9.
53. Baines, C.P., Wang, L., Cohen, M.V., et al. (1999) Myocardial protection by insulin is dependent on phospatidylinositol 3-kinase but not protein kinase C or KATP channels in the isolated rabbit heart. Basic Res Cardiol. 94, 188-198.
54. Buerke, M., Murohara, T., Skurk, C., et al. (1995) Cardioprotective effect of insulin-like growth factor I in myocardial ischemia followed by reperfusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 92, 8031-8035.
55. Cuevas, P., Carceller, F., Martinez-Coso, V., et al. (1999) Cardioprotection from ischemia by fibroblast growth factor: role of inducible nitric oxide synthase. Eur J Med Res. 4, 517-524.
56. Stephanou, A., Brar, B., Heads, R., et al. (1998) Cardiotrophin-1 induces heat shock protein accumulation in cultured cardiac cells and protects them from stressful stimuli. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 30, 849-855.
57. Morita, K., Ihnken, K., Buckberg, G.D., et al. (1995) Studies of hypox-emic/reoxygenation injury: without aortic clamping. VIII. Counteraction of oxidant damage by exogenous glutamate and aspartate. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 110, 1228-1234.
58. Drinkwater, D.C., Jr., Cushen, C.K., Laks, H., et al. (1992) The use of combined antegrade-retrograde infusion of blood cardioplegic solution in pediatric patients undergoing heart operations. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 104, 1349-1355.
59. Nakanishi, K., Zhao, Z.Q., Vinten-Johansen, J., et al. (1995) Blood cardioplegia enhanced with nitric oxide donor SPM-5185 counteracts postischemic endothelial and ventricular dysfunction. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 109, 1146-1154.
Was this article helpful?