1. Jemal A, Murray T, WardE, et al. Cancer statistics, 2005. CA Cancer J Clin 2005; 55:10-30. Erratum in: CA Cancer J Clin 2005; 55:259.
2. O'Brien CJ, Coates AS, Petersen-Schaefer K, et al. Experience with 998 cutaneous melanomas of the head and neck over 30 years. Am J Surg 1991; 162:310-314.
3. Morton DL, Essner R, Kirkwood JM, et al. Malignant melanoma. In: Kufe DW, Bast RC, Hait WN, et al., eds. Holland Frei Cancer Medicine. 7th ed. Hamilton, Ontario: BC Decker, Inc., 2006: 1644-1662.
4. Medina JE, Ferlito A, Pellitteri PK, et al. Current management of mucosal melanoma of the head and neck. J Surg Oncol 2003; 83(2):116-122.
5. Ollila DW, Foshag LJ, Essner R, et al. Parotid region lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymphadenectomy for cutaneous melanoma. Ann Surg Oncol 1999; 6(2):150-154.
6. de Wilt JH, Thompson JF, Uren RF, et al. Correlation between preoperative lymphoscintigraphy and metastatic nodal disease in 362 patients with cutaneous melanoma of the head and neck. Ann Surg 2004; 239(4):544-552.
7. Melanoma of the skin. In: Green FL, Page DL, Fleming ID, et al., eds. AJCC Cancer Staging Handbook. 6th ed. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag, 2002:209-217.
8. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (www.seer.cancer.gov) SEER*Stat Database: Incidence - SEER 9 Regs Public-Use, Nov 2004 Sub (1973-2002), National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch, released April 2005, based on the November 2004 submission.
9. Balch CM, Buzaid AC, Soong SJ, et al. Final version of the American Joint Committee on Cancer staging system for cutaneous melanoma. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19(16):3635-3648.
10. Morton D, Cagle L, Wong J, et al. Intraoperative lymphatic mapping and selective lymphadenectomy: technical details of a new procedure for clinical stage I melanoma. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Society of Surgical Oncology, Washington, DC, 1990.
11. Morton DL, Wen DR, Foshag LJ, et al. Intraoperative lymphatic mapping and selective cervical lymphadenectomy for early-stage melanomas of the head and neck. J Clin Oncol 1993; 11 (9):1751-1756.
12. Eggermont A, Suciu S, MacKie R, et al. Post-surgery adjuvant therapy with intermediate doses of interferon a 2b versus observation in patients with stage IIb/III melanoma (EORTC 18952): randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 366(9492):1189-1196.
13. Hauschild A, Garbe C, Stolz W, et al. Dacarbazine and interferon-a with or without interleukin 2 in metastatic melanoma: a randomized phase III multicentre trial of the Dermatologic Cooperative Oncology Group (DeCOG). Br J Cancer 2001; 84(8):1036-1042.
14. Ridolfi R, Chiarion-Sileni V, Guida M, et al. Cisplatin, dacarbazine with or without subcutaneous interleukin-2, and interferon alpha-2b in advanced melanoma outpatients: results from an Italian multicenter phase III randomized clinical trial. J Clin Oncol 2002; 20(6):1600-1607.
15. Chang AE, Karnell LH, Menck HR. The National Cancer Data Base report on cutaneous and noncutaneous melanoma: a summary of 84,836 cases from the past decade. The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and the American Cancer Society. Cancer 1998; 83:1664-1678.
16. Patel SG, Prasad ML, Escrig M, et al. Primary mucosal malignant melanoma of the head and neck. Head and Neck 2002; 24:247-257.
17. Mendenhall WM, Amdur RJ, Hinerman RW, et al. Head and neck mucosal melanoma. Am J Clin Oncol 2005; 28:626-630.
18. Ganly I, Patel SG, Singh B, et al. Craniofacial resection for malignant melanoma of the skull base. Arch Otol Head Neck Surg 2006; 132:73-78.
19. Temam S, Mamelle G, Marandas P, et al. Postoperative radiotherapy for primary mucosal melanoma of the head and neck. Cancer 2005; 103:313-319.
Was this article helpful?
Complete Guide to Preventing Skin Cancer. We all know enough to fear the name, just as we do the words tumor and malignant. But apart from that, most of us know very little at all about cancer, especially skin cancer in itself. If I were to ask you to tell me about skin cancer right now, what would you say? Apart from the fact that its a cancer on the skin, that is.