The mummichog is used as a bait fish and as an aquarium animal; it also is one of the most widely used laboratory animals. It is a harmless species unless it is swallowed live. It has been reported that many bored fishers have swallowed live mummi-chogs. In one such instance, some of the fish were infected with the larva of the nematode Eustrongyloides ignotus, causing stomach and intestinal problems for three fishers, two of whom required surgical intervention. Raasch noted, "Though 12 fishermen reported no symptoms from this pastime, the moral is that fishermen should abstain from taking the bait themselves when the fish refuse to do so." ♦
Was this article helpful?