1. Knockout DMEM-optimized Dulbecco's modified Eagle's medium for ES cells (Gibco BRL, Carlsbad, CA; cat. no. 10829-018).
2. DMEM 4.5 g/L glucose (Sigma, Dorset, UK; cat. no. D5796).
4. Nonessential amino acids 100X stock (Biological Industries, Kibutz Beit-Haemek, Israel; cat. no. 01-340-1B).
5. Insulin-transferrin-selenium 100X (Gibco BRL; cat. no. 41400-045).
11. KnockOut SR—serum-free formulation (Gibco BRL; cat. no. 10828-028).
12. Fetal calf serum (Biological Industries).
13. l-glutamine 100X stock (200 mM/L, Biological Industries; cat. no. 03-020-1).
14. Penicillin (10,000 U/mL) and streptomycin (10 mg/mL) 100X stock (Biological Industries; cat. no. 03-031-1B).
15. Human basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) stock solution (2 ng/|L) (human recombinant; Gibco BRL; cat. no. 13256029).
16. Trypsin-EDTA: 0.25% trypsin and 0.05% EDTA (Biological Industries; cat. no. 03-052-1).
19. Dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO; Sigma; cat. no. D-2650).
20. 1X phosphate-buffered saline (PBS) without Ca2+/Mg2+. For 1 L: mix 3.58 g sodium phosphate (Na2HPO412H2O), 0.24 g potassium phosphate monobasic (KH2PO4), 8 g sodium chloride (NaCl), 0.2 g potassium chloride (KCl), in a final volume of 1 L of double-distilled water (dd^O). Aliquot 200 mL solution per bottle and autoclave, store at room temperature.
21. 10 mM ß-mercaptoethanol: dilute 1:100 in PBS, filter, sterilize, and store at 4°C.
22. 50X Mitomycin-C: dissolve 2 mg in 4 mL MEF medium, store in 4°C.
23. bFGF solution: add 10 |g of bFGF solution to 5 mL of filter-sterilized 0.1% bovine serum albumin dissolved in 1X PBS (with Ca2+/Mg2+), to give a final concentration of 2 |g/mL, store 1-mL aliquots in -20°C.
24. 0.1% gelatin solution: add 0.1 g of gelatin into a bottle containing 100-mL distilled water and autoclave immediately. The gelatin is dissolved while boiling in the autoclave, store at 4°C.
25. MEF media: add to a 500-mL bottle of DMEM (high glucose and l-glutamine) 50-mL fetal calf serum and 2.5 mL penicillin/streptomycin.
26. hES medium: add to a 500-mL bottle of Knockout DMEM: 75 mL KnockOut SR, 6 mL nonessential amino acids, 6 mL glutamine (2 mM), 3 mL insulin-transferrin-selenium, 60 |L ß-mercaptoethanol (0.1 mM), 3 mL penicillin/streptomycin, and 1 mL bFGF. ES media should be protected from light (see Note 3), and stored in 4°C up to 1 mo.
27 Freezing medium: add 1 mL of DMSO to 9 mL of appropriate media (either hES or MEF media). Media should be prepared fresh.
28. Leishman's stain (BDH, Poole, England) in 100% methanol.
2.1.1. Equipment and Supplies for Tissue Culture
1. Laminar flow hood.
2. Humidified incubator set at 37°C and 5% CO2.
3. Phase contrast microscope (objective range from x10 to x40).
4. Liquid nitrogen storage tank.
5. Refrigerator (4°C) and freezers (-20°C, -70°C).
7. Swing-out centrifuge for conical tubes (15- and 50-mL).
8. Cell counter.
9. Pipetmen (2, 10, 20, 200, and 1000 ||L) designated for tissue culture use only.
10. Sterile forceps and scissors for dissecting mouse embryos.
11. Falcon tissue culture plates (100 x 20 mm) and 6-, 12-, and 24-multiwell trays (Falcon, Bedford, MA; cat. no. 353047, 353047, 353043, 353046).
12. Falcon 15-mL and 50-mL (Falcon; cat. no. 352097, 352098) polypropylene conical tubes.
13. Cryo vials (1.8-mL CryTube; Nunc, Roskilde, Denmark; cat. no. 363401).
15. Tips for 2-, 10-, 20-, 200- and 1000-|L pipetmen.
Was this article helpful?
All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.