Positively affecting the patient's attitude is key to the success of any bowel management program. Emphasizing the following points for patients may ease and enhance the process and the outcome of bowel rehabilitation:
• Bowel elimination can be managed.
• There is a bowel management program for everyone.
• Patient compliance is essential to good results.
• Patience and a sense of humor are invaluable.
• Problem-solving increases options.
The challenge to all health care professionals is to give patients hope for bowel management through patient education and ongoing guidance until they reach their goal. Individual guidance is essential for a good outcome.
Was this article helpful?