Acrocyanosis • Blue or purple mottled discoloration of the extremities, especially the fingers, toes, and nose
Immunologic assay • Measuring the protein and protein-bound molecules that are concerned with the reaction of the antigen with its specific antibody
Monoclonal • Arising from a single cell
Recombinant • In genetic and molecular biology, pertaining to genetic material combined from different sources
Reptilase time • Coagulation procedure similar to thrombin time except that the clotting is initiated by reptilase, a snake venom; using reptilase, heparin will not affect the assay
Thrombin time • Using thrombin as a substrate, this assay measures the time it takes for fibrinogen to be converted to fibrin
Thrombolytic therapy breakup of clots
Using an agent that causes the
1. Loscalzo AD, Schafer AI. Thrombosis and Hemorrhage, 2nd ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1998: 1027-1063.
2. Falco C, Estelles A, Dalmau J, et al. Influence of lipoprotein A levels and isoforms on fibrinolytic activity: Study in families with high lipoprotein A levels. Thromb Haemost 79:818-823, 1998.
3. Liles DK, Knup CL. Disorders of plasma clotting factors. In: Harmening D, ed. Clinical Hematology and Fundamentals of Hemostasis. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2002: 497.
4. Francis CW, Marder VJ. Physiologic regulation and pathologic disorders of fibrinolysis. In: Colman RW, et al, eds. Hemostasis and Thrombosis: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1994: 1089.
5. Hosaka Y, Takahashi Y, Ishii H. Thrombomodulin in human plasma contributes to inhibit fibrinolysis through acceleration of thrombin dependent activation of plasma carboxypeptidase. Thromb Haemost 79:371, 1998.
6. Fritsma G. Normal hemostasis and coagulation. In: Rodak B, ed. Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications, 2nd ed. Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 2002: 625.
7. Jensen R. The diagnostic use of fibrin breakdown products. Clin Hemost Rev 12:1-2, 1998.
8. Janssen MC, Sollershein H, Verbruggen B, et al. Rapid D-dimer assay to exclude deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: Current status and new developments. Semin Thromb Hemost 24:393-400, 1998.
Was this article helpful?
Are Constant Headaches Making Your Life Stressful? Discover Proven Methods For Eliminating Even The Most Powerful Of Headaches, It’s Easier Than You Think… Stop Chronic Migraine Pain and Tension Headaches From Destroying Your Life… Proven steps anyone can take to overcome even the worst chronic head pain…