Alloimmunization • Antibodies that occur as a result of antigens introduced to the body through blood and tissue
Consanguinity • Relationships among close blood relatives
Cryoprecipitate • Product derived from fresh frozen plasma that is rich in factor VIII, von Willebrand factor, and fibrinogen
Cytotoxic • Antibody or toxin that attacks the cells of particular organs
Hemangiomas • Benign tumor of dilated blood vessels
HLA • Human leukocyte antigens, which are found in white blood cells and are part of the major histocompatibil-ity complex
Hyperviscosity • Excessive resistance to the flow of liquids
Menorrhagia • Excessive menstrual bleeding
Microangiopathic • Related to pathology of small blood vessels
Paresthesias • Abnormal sensation that results from an injury to one or more nerves, described as numbness or prickly or tingling feeling
Telangiectasia • Vascular lesion formed by dilation of a group of small blood vessels, most frequently seen on face and thighs
1. Glassy E, ed. Color Atlas of Hematology: An Illustrated Field Guide based on Proficiency Testing. Illinois: Chicogo College of American Pathologists, 1998: 206.
2. Bruce L. Quantitative disorders of platelets. In: Rodak B, ed. Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2002: 686.
3. Wolf BC, Neiman RS. Disorders of the Spleen. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1989: 22.
4. Blaney KD, Howard PR. Basic and Applied Concepts of Immunohematology. Boston: Mosby, 2000: 304.
5. vanden Bent PM, Meyboom PH, Egberts AC. Drug induced thrombocytopenia. Drug Saf 27:1243-1252, 2004.
6. Bengston K, Skinner M, Ware R. Successful use of anti-CD20 (Rituximab) in severe life threatening childhood ITP J Pediatr 143:670-673, 2003.
7. Michel M, et al. Does Helicobacter pylori initiate or perpetuate immune thrombocytopenia purpura? Blood 103:890, 2004.
8. Ezra Y, Rose M, Eldor H. Therapy and prevention of thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura during pregnancy: A clinical study of 16 pregnancies. Am J Hematol 51:1-6, 1996.
9. Zheng X, Chung D, Tekayama TK, et al. Structure of von Willebrand factor cleaving protease (ADAMS-13), a metalloprotease involved in thrombotic thrombocy-topenic purpura. J Biol Chem 270:41059-41063, 2001.
10. Levy GC, Nicolas WC, Lian EC, et al. Mutations in a member of the ADAMTS gene family causing throm-botic thrombocytopenic purpura. Nature 413:488-494, 2001.
11. Kwaan HC, Soff GA. Management of thrombotic throm- 17 bocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndrome. Semin Hematol 34:159-166, 1997.
12. Bell A. Extracorpuscular defects leading to increased 1B erythrocyte destruction: Nonimmune causes. In:
Rodak B, ed. Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications, 2nd ed Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2GG2: 67. 19
13. Bruce L. Quantitative disorders of platelets. In Rodak B, ed. Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications,
2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2GG2: 697. 2G
14. Sondoval C, Dong S, Visintainer P. Clinical and laboratory features of 17B children with recurrent epistaxis. J 21 Pediatr Hematol 24:47-49, 2GG2.
15. Saxena R, Gupta M, Gupta PC. Inherited bleeding disor- 22 ders in Indian women with menorrhagia. Hemophilia 9:193-196, 2GG3.
16. Lusher J. An underlying cause of menorrhagia. Mod 23 Med 63:3G-31, 1995.
Philips MD, Santhouse A. von Willebrand disease: Recent advances in pathophysiology and treatment. Am J Med Sci August:77-86, 1998. Liles DK, Knupp CL. Quantitative and qualitative platelet disorders and vascular disorders. In: Harmening D, ed. Clinical Hematology and Fundamentals of Hemostasis. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2002: 481. Kunishima S, Kamiya T, Saito H. Genetic abnormalities of Bernard-Soulier syndrome. Int J Hematol 76: 319-327, 2002.
Rogers RL, Lazarchick J. Identifying Glanzmann's thrombasthenia. Lab Med 27:579-581, 1996. Paper R, Kelley LA. A Guide to Living With von Willebrand Disease. Pennsylvania: Aventis Bering, 2002: 53. Castellone D. Down and Dirty Coagulation: Practical Solutions and Answers. ASCP Workshop, May 7, 2004, Abstract 5799, Baltimore, MD. Bick RL, Scates SM. Qualitative platelet defects. Lab Med 23:95-103,1992.
Was this article helpful?
Are Constant Headaches Making Your Life Stressful? Discover Proven Methods For Eliminating Even The Most Powerful Of Headaches, It’s Easier Than You Think… Stop Chronic Migraine Pain and Tension Headaches From Destroying Your Life… Proven steps anyone can take to overcome even the worst chronic head pain…