Autoimmune hemolytic anemia • Process by which cells fail to recognize self and consequently make antibodies that destroy selected red cells
Direct antiglobulin test • Laboratory test for the presence of complement or antibodies bound to a patient's red blood cells
Erythroderma • Abnormal widespread redness and scaling of the skin, sometimes involving the entire body Monosomy • Condition of having only one of a pair of chromosomes, as in Turner's syndrome, where there is only one X chromosome instead of two Pathognomonic • Indicative of the disease Raynaud's phenomenon • Intermittent attacks of pallor or cyanosis of the small arteries and arterioles of the fingers as a result of inadequate arterial blood supply Plasmapheresis • Plasma exchange therapy, involving the removal of plasma from the cellular material that is then returned to the patient
Rouleaux • Group of red cells stuck together that look like a stack of coins
Translocations • Alteration of a chromosome through the transfer of a portion of it either to another chromosome or to another portion of the same chromosome
1. Cutler S J, Axtell L, Hesiett H. Ten thousand cases of leukemia 1940-62. J Natl Cancer Inst 39:993, 1967.
2. Dohner H, Stilgenbauer S, Beuner A, et al. Genomic aberrations and survival in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. N Engl J Med 343:1910-1916, 2000.
3. Redaelli A, Laskin BL, Stephens JM, et al. The clinical and epidemiological burden of chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Eur J Cancer Care 13:279-287, 2004.
4. McConkey DJ, et al. Apoptosis sensitivity in chronic lymphocytic leukemia is determined by endogenous endonuclease content and related expression of BCL-2 and BAX. J Immunol 156:2624, 1996.
5. Holmer LD, Hamoudi W, Bueso-Ramos CD. Chronic leukemia and related lymphomproliferative disorders. In:
Harmening D, ed. Clinical Hematology and Fundamentals of Hemostasis, 4th ed. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2002: 303.
6. McFarlandJT, Kuzma C, Millard FE, et al. Palliative irradiation of the spleen. Am J Clin Oncol 25:178-183, 2003.
7. Rosenwald A, Chuang EY, Dabis RE, et al. Fludara-bine treatment of patients with CLL induces a p53-dependent gene expression response. Blood 104: 1428-1434,2004.
8. Bradford C. Cytochemistry. In: Rodak B, ed. Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2002: 391.
9. Jenn U, Bartl R, Dietzfelbinger H, et al. An update:
12 Year follow-up of patients with hairy cell leukemia following treatment with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine. Leukemia 18:1476-1481, 2004.
10. Turgeon ML. Malignant lymphoid and monocytic disorders and plasma cell dyscrasias. In Turgeon ML, ed. Clinical Hematology: Theory and Principles, 4th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005: 287.
11. Manner C. The lymphomas. In Steine-Martin EA, Lotspeich-Steininger CA, Keopke J, eds. Clinical Hematology: Principles, Procedures, Correlations, 2nd ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1998: 490-497.
12. Bergsagel DE, Wong O, Bergsagel PL, et al. Benzene and multiple myeloma: Appraisal of the scientific evidence. Cancer Invest 18:467, 2000.
13. Dewald GW, Kayle RA, Hicks GA, et al. The clinical significance of cytogenetic studies in 100 patients with MM, plasma cell leukemia or amyloidosis. Blood 66:380-390, 1985.
14. Shaughnessy J, Jacobsin J, Sawyer J, et al. Continuous absence of metaphase-defined cytogenetic abnormalities, especially of chromosome 13 and hypodiploidy, ensures long-term survival in multiple myeloma treated with Total Therapy I: Interpretation in the context of global gene expression. Blood 101:3849-3854, 2003.
15. Multiple myeloma. Available at http://www.mayoclinic. com/health/multiple-myeloma/DS00415 from the Mayo Clinic. Accessed September 25, 2006.
218 Part III • White Cell Disorders
Was this article helpful?
Are Constant Headaches Making Your Life Stressful? Discover Proven Methods For Eliminating Even The Most Powerful Of Headaches, It’s Easier Than You Think… Stop Chronic Migraine Pain and Tension Headaches From Destroying Your Life… Proven steps anyone can take to overcome even the worst chronic head pain…