Alkylating agent • Agent that introduced an alkyl radical into the compound in place of a hydrogen atom; these agents interfere with cell metabolism and growth Angiogenesis • Development of blood vessels Organomegaly • Enlargement of any organ Refractory • Resistant to ordinary treatment
1. Hoffman WK, Ottmann OG, Ganser F, et al. Myelopdys-plastic syndrome: Clinical features. Semin Hematol 33:177-178, 1996.
2. Willman CL. The biologic basis of myelodysplasia and related leukemias: Cellular and molecular mechanisms. Mod Pathol 12:101-106, 1999.
3. Kjeldsberg CR, ed. Practical Diagnosis of Hematologic Disorders, 3rd ed. Chicago: ASCP Press, 2000: 369-397.
4. Bick RL, Laughlin WR. Myelodysplastic syndromes. Lab Med 11:712-716, 1993.
5. West RR, Stafford DA, White AD, et al. Cytogenetic abnormalities in the myelodysplastic syndromes and occupational and environmental exposure. Blood 95:2093-2097, 2000.
6. Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H, Vardiman JE, eds. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. Lyon: IARC Press, 2001: 63-73.
7. Bennett HJM, Catovsky D, Daniel MT, et al. Proposals for the classification of the myelodysplastic syndromes. Br J Haematol 51:189-199, 1982.
8. Hellstrom-Lindberg E. Update on supportive care and new therapies: Immunomodulatory drugs, growth
226 Part III • White Cell Disorders factors and epigenetic acting agents. Hematology (Am Soc Hematol Educ Prog) 165, 2005. 9. Giralt S. Bone marrow transplant in myelodysplastic syndromes: New technologies, some questions. Curr Hematol Rep 3:165-172, 2004.
10. Hoffbrand VA. Deferiprone therapy for transfusional iron overload. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 18: 299-317, 2005.
11. Negrin RS, et al. Maintenance treatment of patients with myelodysplastic syndromes using recombinant human granulocyte colony stimulating factor. Blood 78:36, 1992.
12. Appelbaum FR. Immunobiologic therapies for myelodysplastic syndromes. Best Pract Res Clinc Haematol 4:653-661, 2004.
13. Williams JL. The myelodysplastic syndromes and myeloproliferative disorders. Clin Lab Sci 17:227, 2004.
14. Kalache GR, Sartor MM, Hughes WG. The indirect estimation of hemoglobin concentration in whole blood. Pathologist 23:117, 1991.
Hemostasis ^Jéj and w
Disorders of Coagulation
This page has been left intentionally blank.
Was this article helpful?
Are Constant Headaches Making Your Life Stressful? Discover Proven Methods For Eliminating Even The Most Powerful Of Headaches, It’s Easier Than You Think… Stop Chronic Migraine Pain and Tension Headaches From Destroying Your Life… Proven steps anyone can take to overcome even the worst chronic head pain…