of sickle cells: irreversible or reversible or oat-shaped sickle cells.
• Spherocytes are seen in hereditary spherocytosis, in autoimmune hemolytic anemias, or as a part of red cell senescence.
• Target cells are seen in any condition affecting hemoglobin function and also in liver disease or other processes where cholesterol is loaded in the circulation.
• Fragmented cells occur as a result of membrane loss and may be seen in heart valve disease, in burns, or in conditions where there is a predisposition of thrombi.
• Ovalocytes can be seen in thalassemic processes and in the megaloblastic anemias where macro-ovalocytes are seen.
• Elliptocytes are seen in iron deficiency anemia, hereditary elliptocytosis, and idiopathic myelofibrosis.
• Howell-Jolly bodies are DNA in origin and seen in conditions of accelerated erythropoiesis: basophilic stippling is RNA in origin and is seen in lead poisoning and accelerated erythropoiesis.
• Heinz bodies are formed from denatured hemoglobin, usually from individuals with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency.
• Pappenheimer bodies/siderotic granules are iron in origin and seen in iron loading process or in patients who are hypertransfused.
Was this article helpful?
Are Constant Headaches Making Your Life Stressful? Discover Proven Methods For Eliminating Even The Most Powerful Of Headaches, It’s Easier Than You Think… Stop Chronic Migraine Pain and Tension Headaches From Destroying Your Life… Proven steps anyone can take to overcome even the worst chronic head pain…