1. The cell cycle includes interphase, mitosis, cytoplasmic division, and differentiation.
2. Interphase a. Interphase is the stage when a cell grows, DNA replicates, and new organelles form.
b. It terminates when the cell begins mitosis.
3. Mitosis a. Mitosis is the division and distribution of DNA to daughter cells.
b. The stages of mitosis include prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase.
4. The cytoplasm divides into two portions following mitosis.
5. Cell differentiation is the specialization of cell structures and functions.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.