1. When a patient arrives at a hospital with an unknown injury, medical staff must rapidly apply their knowledge of human anatomy and physiology to correctly diagnose the problem.
2. Early interest in the human body probably developed as people became concerned about injuries and illnesses. Changes in lifestyle, from hunter-gatherer to farmer to city dweller, were reflected in types of illnesses.
3. Early doctors began to learn how certain herbs and potions affected body functions.
4. The idea that humans could understand forces that caused natural events led to the development of modern science.
5. A set of terms originating from Greek and Latin formed the basis for the language of anatomy and physiology.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.