Lnk

25% chance 50% chance unaffected carrier 25% chance unaffected (cf allele inherited affected noncarrier from either parent)

cf

+ +

cf

cf

Mary

(b) Punnett Square (c) Bill Sue Rod Tina

Figure 24.5

Inheritance of cystic fibrosis from carrier parents illustrates autosomal recessive inheritance. (a) Each child has a 25% chance of being unaffected and not a carrier, a 50% chance of being a carrier, and a 25% chance of being affected. Sexes are affected with equal frequency. A Punnett square (b) and a pedigree (c) are other ways of depicting this information. (Note that the pedigree illustrates the make-up of one possible family.)

Unaffected parent

Unaffected parent

For each individual conceived

50% chance unaffected

Essentials of Human Physiology

Essentials of Human Physiology

This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment