Not recommended in pregnancy as insufficient reliable evidence is available to determine safety.
PRACTICE POINTS/PATIENT COUNSELLING
• Ginkgo biloba is a complex herb that contains many different active constituents and works by means of multiple mechanisms. Therefore, it has applications in many varied conditions.
• It is an effective treatment in conditions of acquired cognitive impairment, including dementia of any degree of severity and intermittent claudication, according to evidence from meta-analyses.
• Positive evidence also exists for premenstrual syndrome, sudden deafness, Raynaud's syndrome and depression when associated with cognitive decline.
• Largely based on the herb's physiological actions, ginkgo is also used to treat chilblains, haemorrhoids, prevent macular degeneration, glaucoma, sexual dysfunction, impotence, allergies and asthma and improve wellbeing.
• The form of ginkgo most often tested and used is a preparation known as EGb 761, which is standardised to 24% ginkgo flavonol glycosides and 6% terpene lactones.
• Overall, Ginkgo biloba is a very safe herb and is extremely well tolerated.
ANSWERS TO PATIENTS' FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What will this herb do for me?
Ginkgo is a very popular herbal treatment that increases peripheral circulation, beneficially influences brain chemicals, protects nerve cells from damage, and may stimulate immune function and reduce inflammation. Scientific evidence has shown it can improve brain function in both healthy and memory-impaired people. It has also been found to improve symptoms of intermittent claudication and may be useful in chilblains, PMS, vitiligo and seasonal affective disorder and possibly sexual dysfunction such as impotence. When will it start to work?
This will depend on the condition treated and the dose used. Generally, Ginkgo biloba is a slow-acting herb that can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months to Ginkgo biloba 539
exert maximal effects.
Are there any safety issues?
Ginkgo has been extensively studied and appears to be extremely safe with virtually no side-effects in healthy people. Some contraindications and interactions are possible, so it is recommended it be taken under professional supervision.
Was this article helpful?