Likely to be safe.
PRACTICE POINTS/PATIENT COUNSELLING
• Colostrum is a very complex fluid that is rich in nutrients, antibodies, growth factors, vitamins and minerals.
• Targeted hyperimmune BC products have proven effective in prophylaxis against various infectious diseases in humans, notably infectious diarrhoea.
• BC is a popular supplement among athletes and used mainly as a natural source of IGF-I because it has an anabolic effect and is involved in the regulatory feedback of growth hormone.
• Preliminary evidence suggests BC may prevent NSAID-induced gastrointestinal damage and improve gut permeability.
• Most studies use hyperimmune BC in which the concentration of specific antibodies is raised.
ANSWERS TO PATIENTS' FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What will this supplement do for me?
Bovine colostrum contains nutrients, antibodies, growth factors, vitamins and minerals, and has a variety of effects on the gastrointestinal tract, immune function and the ability to fight some infections, and may possibly reduce muscle catabolism. When will it start to work?
Studies with infectious diarrhoea have reported benefits within 3-4 days, and improvement in gut permeability within 5 days. Are there any safety issues?
Bovine colostrum produced under quality control guidelines is a safe substance; however, it should be avoided by people with lactose intolerance.
Was this article helpful?