• Astragalus is widely used as an immunostimulant medicine to reduce the incidence of the common cold and influenza.
• It is also used to enhance recuperation and reduce fatigue.
• According to TCM practice it is widely used to invigorate and tonify Qi and the blood, and as an important adaptogen.
• Under the TCM system of use, astragalus is not used during periods of acute infection.
• In clinical practice it is often used in combination with other herbs such as Bupleurum chinense, Scutellaria baicalensis and Codonopsis pilulosa. As such, most clinical trials have tested combination formulas.
• It appears to be well tolerated; however, several theoretical interactions exist.
Was this article helpful?