Because of its wide range of pharmacological effects, baical skullcap is used for many different indications. Although controlled trials are not yet available to determine its effectiveness, evidence from in vitro and animal studies provides a theoretical basis for the following uses:
• Chronic inflammatory conditions such as asthma, arthritis and allergies (antiallergic and anti-inflammatory effects). Baical skullcap 69
• Hepatitis (as a hepatoprotective agent). © 2007 Elsevier Australia
• Common infections such as the common cold (antimicrobial and immunostimulant effects).
• Nausea and vomiting (anti-emetic effect).
• Mild hypertension (hypotensive activity demonstrated in several animal models).
In practice, baical skullcap is used in combination with other herbs for these conditions.
Was this article helpful?