• Doubt about the diagnosis
• Severe hyperthyroidism, especially if there is coexisting thyrocardiac disease
• Pregnant patients with hyperthyroidism
• Progression of exophthalmos
The main presentations are a painless nodule, a hard nodule in an enlarged gland or lymphadenopathy with thyroid enlargement. Papillary carcinoma is the most common malignancy. Although rare compared with non-malignant lesions (such as colloid nodules, cysts, haemorrhage and benign adenomas), it is important not to miss carcinoma because of the very high cure rate with treatment. This involves total thyroidectomy, ablative I131 treatment, thyroxine replacement and follow-up with serum thyroglobulin measurements and thallium scanning. Fine needle aspiration is the investigation of choice.
Adrenal cortex disorders
It is worth keeping in mind the uncommon disorders of the adrenal cortex, which can also be difficult to diagnose in the early stages, namely:
• chronic adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease)—deficiency of cortisol and aldosterone
• Cushing's syndrome—cortisol excess
• primary hyperaldosteronism (refer Chapter 111)
Addison's disease Clinical features
• lethargy/excessive fatigue
• anorexia and nausea
• diarrhoea/abdominal pain
• dizziness/funny turns o hypoglycaemia (rare) o postural hypotension (common)
• hyperpigmentation, especially mucous membranes of mouth and hard palate.
If Addison's disease remains undiagnosed, wasting leading to death may occur. Severe dehydration can be a feature.
Was this article helpful?
Deal With Your Pain, Lead A Wonderful Life An Live Like A 'Normal' Person. Before I really start telling you anything about me or finding out anything about you, I want you to know that I sympathize with you. Not only is it one of the most painful experiences to have backpain. Not only is it the number one excuse for employees not coming into work. But perhaps just as significantly, it is something that I suffered from for years.