1. Phillips P. Diabetes. CHECK Programme, unit 236. Melbourne: RACGP, 1991, 5-20.
2. Welborn TA. Diabetic mellitus. In: MIMS Disease Index (2nd edn). Sydney: IMS Publishing, 1996, 149-152.
3. Nankervis A, Farrance I, Clague A. Revised criteria for diagnosis of diabetes. Med J Aust, 1993; 158:566-567.
4. Welborn T et al. National diabetic study. Metabolism, Clinical and Experimental. 1997.
5. Cohen M. Management of insulin dependent diabetes. Aust Fam Physician, 1990, 19:1201-1214.
6. Murtagh J. Patient education (2nd edn). Sydney: McGraw-Hill, 1996, 151 (Diabetes: Insulin injections).
7. Murtagh J. Patient education (2nd edn). Sydney: McGraw-Hill, 1996, 150 (Diabetes: Foot care for diabetics).
8. Kumar PJ, Clark ML. Clinical medicine (2nd edn). London: Bailliere Tindall, 1990, 835-845.
Was this article helpful?
All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.