• Make the correct diagnosis.
• Stop or avoid drugs affecting the haemostatic system.
• Control bleeding episodes with appropriate drugs, blood products and local measures such as simple compression or topical haemostatic agents.
• Infuse appropriate blood components for the treatment of coagulation factor deficiencies and some platelet disorders, e.g. factor VIII for haemophilia A; fresh frozen plasma for multiple factor deficiency.
• Refer patients with identified defects to a consultant haematologist or haemophilia centre.
• Supervise advanced planning in patients seeking pregnancy, surgery or dental extraction.
Was this article helpful?