• How long has the problem been apparent to you?
• Do you remember any bumps or falls that might have caused the bruising?
• What sort of injuries cause you to bruise easily?
• Have you noticed bleeding from other areas such as your nose or gums?
• Has anyone in your family had a history of bruising or bleeding?
• What is your general health like?
• Do you have any tiredness, weight loss, fever or night sweats?
• Did you notice a viral illness or sore throat beforehand?
• How much alcohol do you drink?
• What happened in the past when you had a tooth extracted?
• Do you get widespread itchiness of your skin?
• Have you ever had painful swelling in your joints?
It is mandatory to obtain a complete drug history. Examples of drugs and their responses are:
• vascular purpura o prednisolone
• thrombocytopenia o chloramphenicol o cytotoxic drugs o gold o heparin o phenylbutazone o sulphonamides o quinine, quinidine o thiazide diuretics
• functional platelet abnormalities o aspirin o NSAIDs
• coagulation factor deficiency o warfarin
Was this article helpful?