Also known as 'breakbone' fever, it is widespread in SE Pacific and endemic in Queensland. Features
• mosquito-borne viral infection
• incubation period 5-6 days
• abrupt onset fever, malaise, headache, pain behind eyes, severe backache
• severe aching of muscles and joints
• fever subsides for about 2 days then returns
• maculopapular rubelliform rash on limbs ^ trunk
• generalised erythema with 'islands of sparing'
• the rare haemorrhagic form is very severe; may present with shock
• later severe fatigue and depression (prone to suicide)
Diagnosis specific serology
Was this article helpful?